To save water in the home:
To save water outside the home:
Reference: USEPA & NJDEP
Stage II (Severe) - Mandatory restriction of irrigation to Tuesdays and Saturdays for properties with odd-numbered addresses and Wednesdays and Sundays for properties with even-numbered addresses. No irrigation shall be allowed on Mondays, Thursdays, or Fridays except for the use of a hand held hose. Irrigation using a hand held hose shall be allowed at any time. Effective May 2, 2017 Ridgewood Water Customers in the Village of Ridgewood must follow the regulation listed in Ordinance 3588. Click HERE for more details.
Stage III (Pending/Critical) - Mandatory restriction of irrigation to the use of a hand held hose on Tuesdays and Saturdays for properties with odd-numbered addresses and Wednesdays and Sundays for properties with even-numbered addresses. No irrigation of any kind shall be allowed on Mondays, Thursdays, or Fridays.
Stage IV (Critical) - Irrigation is prohibited at any time. Exceptions for irrigation using a hand held hose may be allowed under conditions prescribed by the Village Manager of the Village of Ridgewood.
NJ Drought Status
*4/12/17- Commissioner Martin lifted the drought warning, but cited very important suggestions on how to save water, including:
- Do not over-water lawns and landscaping. Two times per week for 30 minutes in the morning or late afternoon during drier periods is typically sufficient.
- Use a hose with a hand-nozzle to water flowers and shrubs.
- Avoid watering lawns and plants during the heat of the day, since much of this water will evaporate without helping your lawn.
- See the full press release for details: Commissioner Martin Lifts Drought Warning and Watch Advisories for Most of New Jersey
*1/2/17- NJ utilities look to curb spikes in water use
*10/21/16- Commissioner Martin signs administrative order designating drought warning for 14 counties in Northern, Central and Northern Coastal New Jersey.
- Directive activates DEP authority to closely manage water supplies; public strongly urged to reduce water use.
*9/15/16- Drought warning considered. Click HERE.
*7/25/16- The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection has issued a drought watch for most of northern New Jersey. Click HERE for the press release.